Saturday, September 1, 2012

Author Interview - L.C. Giroux

Let's talk to L.C. Giroux, author of Lovers and Other Strangers Series Box set, including Wild Child; Fall Into His Arms; Second Chance at Salvation; and her newest release All In.
 
L.C., thanks for taking some time to answer some questions for us.
1)      What were your favorite books growing up? Number one, and I still read it every once in a while, is the Phantom Toll Booth by Norton Juster. Ooh, The Secret Garden for the secret place all your own but I have a black thumb despite growing up on an herb farm in CT. Eloise goes to Paris and Eloise goes to Moscow, I’m always trying to figure out how to either release or tame my inner Eloise. Black Beauty for the redemption. Ursula Le Guin’s Wrinkle in Time series, Sci Fi and a girl lead! Any of Maurice Sendak’s books –I can still recite Chicken Soup with Rice from memory. I could probably fill a hard drive with the list. Maybe that is why I am starting a YA (they didn’t even have the category when I was a kid) series soon with my daughter.
2)      Now that you have, let’s say—some life experience, what would you tell your younger self? I’d  give her a copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and tell her it was non-fiction. Okay, maybe not but Don’t Panic! wouldn’t be bad advice. Along with telling her it is all going to be okay no matter what it looks like now.
3)      Describe your typical day. Boring! Walk the dog, Exercise (or not!), get everyone out of the house, clean (I can’t work if I know there are ‘chores’ to do), sit down and check email, write, pick up the daughter from school, think about what to make/get/where to call for dinner, kiss the husband hello. My favorite is that last part!
4)      Who is your favorite character in your books? Easy! Always the smartass. I tend to fall in love with all my heroes and want to be all of my heroines so I don’t know if I have a favorite. Maybe the ones I am writing at the time.
5)      What do you do when writer’s block shows up, settles in, and makes itself comfortable? Clean. I hate it so much that sitting in front of the computer starts to look really good!
6)      Do you find yourself pulling details from “real life” or does your imagination rule the roost? I write contemporary romance so real life is always there. With the Boston Stories, it was bits I remembered and loved from living there. With Salvation and All In, it was that fish out of water feeling of having lived in the Northeast my whole life and then seeing all that space and sky laid out in front of me. It was a little disorienting in a good way. The Lovers and Other Strangers series is going to move to Seattle next and then to Chicago, both cities I’ve loved visiting.
7)      What was the first manuscript you wrote (even if it never saw the light of day)? I talk about this in my Bio. I wrote a serial romance novel my sophmore year in high school. All my friends loved it, the administration – not so much. Soaps were in their heyday, it was the 80’s (and now you know how old I am!) so there was lots of behind closed doors sex in the book. By today’s standards it was really tame. 
8)      Have you ever pursued traditional publishing? Or did you go straight for indie publishing? I have never written a query letter, been snubbed by an agent, or waited patiently while an editor ‘got back to me’. Indie now, Indie always, Indie forever!
9)      What Works In Progress are brewing?  Any target dates for publication? I try to get something out every couple of months, even more so now that I’m writing full time! All In, Book five in the Lovers and Other Strangers series is coming out in August. I’m hoping to have the YA Paranormal out the end of September, and then the first of the Seattle books as well as a Christmas/Winter short story from the LaOS series in November. That one should be fun! New Mexico and Boston try to meet in the middle with comic, hopefully heartwarming results.
10)   How can fans reach you? 
Facebook: L.C. Giroux
Twitter: @lcgiroux
Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/lcgiroux
I write back and sometimes even give away free books!

6 comments:

  1. "Indie now, Indie always, Indie forever." That deserves to become a mantra. Thanks for the post, Faith and L.C.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for checking out the interview!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dale, I've considered a career in creating mantras or at least propaganda slogans, you know if the romance thing doesn't work out!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the fun q&a! Yes, I imagine your high school administrators didn't say they appreciated your early fiction... at least to your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked the interview.

      Delete
    2. Tamara, You have to imagine five foot nothing me trying to explain to my 50+ year old, 7 ft tall, coke bottle glasses wearing Asst. Principal why calling my parents would be a really bad idea.

      Delete