Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How I Spent My Paris Vacation

So, I have just returned from a trip to Paris.  Yup, Paris, France.  Oui, oui. I did actually work for the first few days while my husband was working, so it wasn't all fun and games.  But, work ended and the vacation part started.

One of the best days was the one we spent at the Louvre. There are some truly amazing works of art there, and it's incredible to think of how they were produced hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

But I was giggling inside when I saw this masterpiece:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the Winged Victory.  As in, CMOS 8.193's example of how to correctly write about works of art.


And there was this famous lady:
who is also featured in CMOS 8.193 (Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa).

Yes, I am a grammar geek.

P.S. - The Mona Lisa is much smaller than one would think.  Of course, it doesn't help that it's all by itself on this huge wall in a huge hall that has huge murals on all the other walls!



2 comments:

  1. LOL. So if I wrote The Winged Victory, would you have the make the first t lower case?

    I wonder why the Mona Lisa needs to be italicized and not the Winged Victory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, ask and ye shall receive: Titles of paintings, drawings, photographs, statues, and other works of art are italicized, whether the titles are original, added by someone other than the artist, or translated. The names of works of antiquity (whose creators are often unknown) are usually set in roman.

    ReplyDelete